ADVERTISEMENT

The InTowner
To receive free monthly notices advising of the availability of each new PDF issue, simply send an email request to and include name, postal mailing address and phone number. This information will not be shared with any other lists or entities.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

What Once Was

by Stephen A. Hansen*

Washington’s Lime Kilns: Creating the stuff of building

By Matthew B. Gilmore (guest contributor for August)* To view images full size, left click on each Tucked away in an obscure corner of Foggy Bottom is an odd sight -- several curious stone walls and structures neatly embraced by the Whitehurst Freeway and Rock Creek Parkway ramps. [caption id="attachment_8596" align="alignleft" width="300"]...

Washington DC, Center of Manufacturing . . .

The Brodhead-Bell-Morton Mansion at 1500 Rhode Island Avenue, NW

Col. Truesdell’s “Widow’s Mite”

Ford’s Theater: The Site of Multiple Tragedies

What Ultimately Happened to William Tunnicliff’s Two Hotels? –- Part 3

What Ultimately Happened to William Tunnicliff’s Two Hotels? — Part 2

What Ultimately Happened to William Tunnicliff’s Two Hotels? – Part 1

Samuel W. Woodward: Department Store Magnate and Real Estate Developer

Franklin House: Home of Peggy O’Neale

*Stephen A. Hansen is an historic preservation specialist, Washington, DC historian, and principal at DC Historic Designs, LLC. He also authors the blog Virtual Architectural Archaeology.