The InTowner
To receive free monthly notices advising of the availability of each new PDF issue, simply send an email request to and include name, postal mailing address and phone number. This information will not be shared with any other lists or entities.

Advertisement

What Once Was

A Slave Owner Once Lived in Kalorama Park

Tip: Click any image in the article to view that image at a larger size.

By Stephen A. Hansen*

In 1836, John Little, an Irish immigrant born in 1805, bought 56 acres in what is now the Kalorama Triangle and Washington Heights neighborhoods from brothers Christian and Matthew Hines. The Hines brothers had tried unsuccessfully to establish a silkworm farm on the land. They built a modest one-and-a-half story, 25 square-foot house at the corner of Columbia and Belmont Roads that was probably meant to the home for the farm’s manager. It is now the site of the Norwood apartment building at 1868 Columbia Road.

Christian Hine and his brother attempted to establish a silkworm farm in Kalorama.  photo--author's collection.

Christian Hine and his brother attempted to establish a silkworm farm in Kalorama. photo–author’s collection.

Little moved with his family into the house and then built a slaughterhouse into a hillside between what is now Champlain and 18th Streets, about a block or two north of Florida Avenue where Slash Run once flowed and into which he would dump animal entrails and blood that then flowed downhill to the Dupont Circle area.

Little became very successful as a butcher and had a butcher stand at the original Center Market, then also known as “Marsh Market,” located at 7th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue NW, now the site of the National Archives. With Little’s success, the size of his household, slave holdings and personal property grew quickly. Now needing more room, Little built a large three-story house on the west side of Columbia Road in the 1850s, now the location of Kalorama Park.

John Little built his house in the center of what is today Kalorama Park.  photo--author's collection.

John Little built his house in the center of what is today Kalorama Park. photo–author’s collection.

By 1860, a total of 27 individuals were living in the Little household —- 17 of whom were enslaved African-Americans. By now, Little had multiple buildings in the immediate area of today’s Kalorama Park that included the his manor house, a second house located where the Woodley apartment building stands today at 1851 Columbia Road that was razed in 1903, a carriage house, and outbuildings, some of which probably served as slave quarters.

With the arrival of thousands of Union troops in Washington in 1861, one of Little’s female slaves, 21-year-old Hortense Prout,, decided it provided an opportunity to make a run for her freedom. Little searched for her and found her in one of the Ohio Company camps that was tented out in Washington, “completely rigged out in male attire.” Hortense was then turned over to Little and taken to jail. Whether or not the Ohio Company was aware that Hortense was an escaped slave, or even that she was a female, is uncertain. It is also unknown what happened to Hortense after the war, but her mother stayed on the farm and continued to work for the Littles.

The Littles also took over the Hines’ family burial ground that was located at the corner of Columbia Road and 18 Street. John Little’s daughter, Margaret, recalled in 1915 that it was a burial place for family servants and never had stones to mark any of the graves. It is quite probable that the “servants” Margaret was referring to were some of the Littles’ slaves.

.  John Little's farm. map detail--from Albert Boschke's Topographical Map of the District of Columbia,1858.

. John Little’s farm. map detail–from Albert Boschke’s Topographical Map of the District of Columbia,1858.

John Little managed to continue to operate his cattle farm after his slaves were freed in 1862. By 1870, he was 65 years old, still farming and living with his wife and three grown daughters in the manor house in the future Kalorama Park. But by now, Little only had three black employees on the estate and was also taking in boarders.

Little died in 1876 at the age of 71 and was buried at Congressional Cemetery. His estate was left to his five daughters who were not interested in continuing their father’s farming and butcher business themselves. They soon began to sell off the land to developers while continuing to occupy the family home.

The Little house had become a boardinghouse by the 1920s. In 1942, when the National Capital Park and Planning Commission acquired the property for use as a park, the house had already disappeared. As a result of Hortense’s attempted escape to freedom, the site of John Little’s house in Kalorama Park is now included in the National Park Service’s National Underground Railroad: Network to Freedom.

Editor’s note: For more on the history of Kalorama, see the author’s book, Kalorama Triangle: The History of a Capital Neighborhood (History Press, 2011). His forthcoming book, A History of Dupont Circle: Center of High Society in the Capital, will be released this month.

*Stephen A. Hansen is an historic preservation specialist, Washington DC historian, author of several books and of the Virtual Architectural Archaeology blog.

© 2014 InTowner Publishing Corp. & Stephen A. Hansen. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part, including for commercial purposes, without permission is prohibited.